Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Digital Badge I

Old vs. New
By Sugarbear2202 | View this Toon at ToonDoo | Create your own Toon



Chapter 4


                Enhancing lesson development with technology is how teachers use electronic resources to decide: what to teach, how to teach, and how to know what the students have learned. The three interrelated elements of classroom instruction are: 1.) Academic Content (what to teach) 2.) Teaching goals, methods and procedures (how to teach) 3.) Learning Assessments (How to know what the students have learned). There are a variety of technology resources that can be used to help develop and lesson plan.

                To begin with, as a teacher I will be responsible for making choices about academic content. I will use the internet to access online search engines, online encyclopedias, blogs and wikis to help decide what material I would like to teach that is also in line with the required curriculum. By using blogs and online wikis I will be able to communicate with other teachers and exchange ideas on academic content.

                Next, would be deciding how I want to teach the information. How to teach goes hand in hand with deciding on academic content because while I am brainstorming on the content I will also be thinking of teaching goals, methods and procedures. There are a variety of ways that technology can support lesson development, but a few of my favorites would be: presentation software, interactive software and teacher developed websites. I am a very visual person and I think that will have a strong influence on how I will teach. I don’t do well with lectures; I personally retain more information through visual or interactive activities.

                Lastly, knowing what students have learned and are in the process of learning is very important. Using technology can help to assess this information. As a teacher I would like to perform learning assessments before, during and after a lesson so that I can evaluate myself and my students. There are several technologies that support the assessment and evaluation process, for example: electronic tests and quizzes, grade keeping software, online surveys, rubrics and digital portfolios.

                All in all, I feel that I have a much better chance today to be able to develop successful lesson plans using the variety of technological resources that are readily available. I would even encourage my students to take advantage of some of these resources to help show me what they already know and what they are learning and to even express some topics of interest.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Allow and even encourage students to show their understanding via these creative digital tools. Not only will that engage students in their learning, but it will actually take students to a deeper level of learning as they are given permission to personalize and individualize their own thinking. You have been doing so (albeit at a different level) as you try out these web 2.0 tools. Imagine your students engagement!

    Like you, I believe most of your students will be more visual and kinesthetic (and not so much auditory) in their learning styles. Using various presentation software with much visual 'eye candy' will make associations that much stronger.

    ReplyDelete